Thursday, January 6, 2011

Light Skin Vs. Darkskin. Plus Young Money Controversy.

Recently popular celebrity blogger Necole Bitchie posted a e-mail that she received from one of her followers. Within the e-mail the follower describes how she had an encounter with Lil Wayne and his Rap Group young money and how they blatantly made it clear that light skin were more desirable than dark-skin women. The comments made by Young Money offended the follower as she was dark-skin.

Following the controversy sparked by this blog post Lil Wayne and Mack Maine took to twitter to clear the air.

"Just read the funniest blog story ever about me and my fam... We color blind over here.. If a female is beautiful she's beautiful!! Luv" -Mack Maine via Twitter.

"Rumors are as dumb as the people who believe them" -Lil' Wayne via Twitter.

While Lil' Wayne discredits the authenticity of the encounter, his lyrics seem to speak for themselves:


“I like redbone, pretty feet, slim waist, cute face” -I Took Her

“I like a long hair, thick, red bone” -Every Girl

“Beaufitul black woman, I bet that bitch look better red” -Right Above It

You can find the original post here:
http://necolebitchie.com/2011/01/06/did-lil-wayne-really-say-that/

---

This recent issue that highlights the never ending struggle within the black community's perception of lightskin vs. darkskin reminded me of a video that I had made talking about the issue:
In the video I discuss the problems that stem from this stiga, where it comes from, and the probability of it changing. 

I was inspired by the short documentary entitled a Girl Like Me which also examines this issue:


No comments:

Post a Comment